Sunday, December 27, 2009

relationships = bondage?

"Wise commitments do not bind us, they free us. To the spiritually immature, commitment is a scary word because it is internalized as bondage. But to the spiritually mature, commitment is the equivalent of freedom because it bestows authentic happiness that cannot be taken away."

A few days ago, my boyfriend sent me this quote. I've been thinking about it a lot, even posted it on twitter and facebook about an hour ago. It's from Hill Harper's "The Conversation: How Black Men and Women Can Build Trusting, Loving Relationships". I heard some months ago that the book was good but never got the chance to pick it up. Hopefully, I'll be able to read it in it's entirety soon (despite the fact that classes will be starting soon and I have other commitments).

I have heard many (both male and female, young and old) talk about how they do not want a boyfriend or girlfriend right now because they don't want to be tied down . According to Harper, they spiritually immature. I could not agree more. Committing to someone (unless the person is extremely possessive) is not supposed to make you feel trapped. If it does, that is in no way a healthy relationship.

This quote can also relate to other aspects in life besides relationships. Some examples include school and work. I know a lot of people that are only going to school because their parents expect that from them. In turn, their commitment is not pure and may make them feel as if they are in bondage.

Do you agree with Hill Harper? What's your take on commitment?

No comments: