Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Sister's Keeper

Before I begin this post, I would like to point out that when you want the day to go by slowly, it flies by... and when you want it to fly by, it does just the opposite. Today is one of the days that have just sort of flashed by. I've been up since 9:00 a.m.; it's almost 4:00 p.m. and I feel like I've only been up for a few hours. I have gotten a lot done though. Yay!!

Now to the good stuff....

Last night, I hung with one of my wonderful friends and one of the three musketeers, Tiff. We ate junk food, watched "My Sister's Keeper", laughed, talked and cried a little. The movie really had me thinking. I don't want to give a way the storyline in case you have not seen the film, but here is a short summary:

Anna (11-years old) was conceived to serve as a donor to her older sister, Kate, who has Leukemia. They also have a brother named Jesse who is not given much attention, throughout his childhood and adolescence. Anna decides to take her parents to gain rights over her own body and no longer act as a donor. A lot of drama ensues once the papers are served to her parents.


Watch the movie to get the FULL story!!

At weekly Bible study, we give testimonies of how God has been working in our lives and just thank Him for everything. This past week, Nancy talked about a 2-time cancer survivor coming to speak to her classroom and how much energy she had. In the movie, Kate was definitely the same way. It also made me think of my uncle who passed away after a long fight against cancer the summer before my senior year of HS. RIP Uncle June!! I miss you so much!!! Things like that definitely make people put things into perspective. I think we often feel like what we are going through at the moment is the worse case scenario, but there are individuals who are going through some tough times and still find it in them to be joyful. The story made me think, hard.

Then I began to think about the verse that talks about how God will not put more on you than you can handle. Does this mean those people that are experiencing "tougher" situations are able to bear more than you can?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Deonna! Sounds like you had a great night last night...I definitely want to check out "My Sister's Keeper." I think that's a really interesting question, about whether those who are experiencing tougher things are able to bear more. I think maybe it all depends on what we need to learn - maybe those who are going through tough things are supposed to be learning through those specific experiences, in the same way that we're all supposed to be learning from whatever it is we're going through. I don't know - just a thought in response to that question...it got me thinking! Hope you don't mind me commenting, I just saw the link on Facebook and wanted to check out your blog!

Hope you have an awesome rest of the weekend, and a great V-Day!

Ashley said...

hey i'm turning my blog into a private one and since you're currently following me, i'd like to send you an invite to continue but i need your e-mail. please shoot me one via osoabc.cmo@gmail.com thanx