Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dear Society,

I am becoming frustrated with you. From the people I come in contact with on a daily basis who lack respect for other human beings to the judge who sentenced Kelley Willams-Bolar to 10 days in jail and 3 years probation for sending her children to a better school because the schools in her neighborhood are under funded. Shit is getting real, fast. And the fact that I feel like I'm unsure how to effectively make a change is bothering me. In opposition to that, the fact that I know I can be a part of a huge change makes me hopeful.

Cornel West said, "Too many young folk have addiction to superficial things and not enough conviction for substantial things like justice, truth, and love." It sucks that people I look up to feel like way about my generation. But I know a number of people between 18 and 22 that want more, and care so much more about substantial things.

With that being said, we shall prove ourselves. The fact that I know there will be no hand outs makes me even more passionate. So, I'm brainstorming. #thatisall


sincerely,
a woman who is a change agent

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to find your path even in the midst of debris from bad circumstance and even a corrupt society. Truth is you are one person who cannot change the world; however you can spark change and influence it (then it becomes a domino affect) and that starts from within. Quote by Ghandi: Be the change you want to see in the world. First, be willing to change yourself. Secondly, know that you have a God-given purpose. You deserve to be here and you are a valuable part of His creation. And the rest will fall in place.