Monday, August 1, 2011

If It Was My Job, I'd Be Fired.

"Thanks for speaking up when you did" and "I want to work on being as invested in this work as you are," read a couple notes I found in a room that had been through it, piles of clothes, stacks of papers and boxes strewn across the carpeted floor.

I started packing yesterday (because I will be moving at the end of the month). Yes, it is kind of early to be packing but I kind of hoard things and decided to trash a lot of my junk. Believe me, there is a method to my madness. It's a process.

While cleaning things out, I came across a couple bags of affirmations that I have collected over the years as an undergrad that attends every community retreat she gets to the chance to. The affirmations were from people I got to meet or know better during those three-day weekends.

Honestly, reading them almost brought me to tears. I've connected with so many amazing folks since I've lived in my little college town. And it's not over yet. I have a year left to make more connections, some that could potentially last a lifetime. For these relationships to last though, these people have to be comfortable with silence and random bursts of conversation.

If you know me, you know that I am not the most talkative person but if I do have something really interesting to talk about, I could go on for a while. The only way I know how to speak is from my experience so when I speak it's sincere.

I wonder if this is a part of my failure to intentionally motivate folks through speech. It has been brought to my attention that I am not exactly the greatest motivational speaker. If giving people the motivation to complete a task by using words alone was my job, I wouldn't be surprised if I got fired. This is why I will never consider going into that field.

It has also been brought to my attention that I can motivate without really trying and just being myself. While reading my affirmations, I noticed a trend. A lot of folks view me as someone who has it together when I feel like I kind of don't, at all. It's cool that I give that vibe though. It seems that I've inspired folks to take life one day at a time, as I often try to do and to always be genuine in everything they do.

Hoping I can continue to spread the cool as I step mine up. Growth is constant, as is change.

No comments: