Thursday, August 20, 2009

good read...

I HAVE BECOME ADDICTED TO TWITTER. AND ONE OF THE LOVELY LADIES I FOLLOW TWEETED THE LINK TO THIS ENTRY ON A Belle in Brooklyn... GET TO READING!!!


In the August issue of ESSENCE, the Kierna Mayo wrote an article entitled Black Women Behaving Badly." She asks:

Have you ever looked another Black woman up and down? Checked out her clothes, her body, her face, her hair and secretly sized her up as less than you? Have you ever laughed about another Black woman behind her back? Talked about her to your girls? Spilled her secrets? Have you ever flirted with another Black woman’s man? Woke up next to him in bed? Have you ever had a silent thought, even for a split second wishing failure on a Black woman at your job? Is bitch a regular word in your vocabulary?

 

Sheesh. I answered yes to all of the above.

Back up.

I am the chick who regularly get “gritted” on, that quick head-to-toe assessment that nearly all Black women have been trained to do. And I’d offer some explanations why I think that happens, but they don’t matter. Because even when I’m at my best, doing my best, I’m always found lacking, just like every other girl it happens too. I've been sized up for the labels I am or am not wearing, the job title I should or should not have, the bag that is or is not real, the hair that really is or isn't mine, the clothes that do or do not fit properly, and whether I do or do not think I'm cute for any number of reasons including that without sun I’m rather light, and even with sun, my eyes are.

I know what other women are thinking because (as I shamefully stated above) I do it too. I’ve spent way too much time staring at the crown or part in some poor woman’s head trying to figure out if her long hair is real. Same goes for looking at the underside of a woman’s shoe to tell whether or not her Louboutin’s are authentic Same goes for whether her Louis is from a shelf on 57th & 5th or a back room on Canal Street. 

Why?

...NOW THAT I GOT YOU ADDICTED READ THE REST HERE. AND READ ALL THE COMMENTS.


MY OPINION: I noticed other women look me up and down before, but I never paid much attention to it. Since I read this entry, I've paid more attention to the females (of all ethnicities) I encounter. It has become apparent that African American women (or at least most of the ones I've come in contact with) are not that nice. I would smile at them, and some would act as if they did not see me smile. This is not to say that women of other races are always nicer. Nothing can be said of these groups of women as a whole because we are each made differently (plus I'm not too big on generalization). Maybe this is not only a African American female thing, it's just a FEMALE thing!! Your thoughts?

No comments: