Monday, December 14, 2009

Gone.

"They claim you never know what you got til it's gone. I know what I got. I don't know what y'all on."
-Kanye West ["Gone" from Late Registration]

I definitely feel Kanye on this one. With everything in life, really. I have been trying to take a moment out of each day to appreciate everything good. (side story: my pastor at my home church talked about how when someone is between a rock and a hard place, they still have something to be thankful for---their working mind which allowed them to know they were in between that rock and that hard place) But at this current moment, I'm thinking on relationships. I feel like I have some of the greatest friends on earth. My family is supportive. Life is just really enjoyable right now because of all the positive energy around me.

In this post though, I will be focusing on "romantic" relationships. I have seen people go through failed relationship after failed relationship (some of them really toxic). I have had my share of relationships---4 in the past 5.5 years. But through it all, my friends always seem to look at me as the girl that gets the good guys---the smart and sometimes athletic ones that have something going on in their life. Looking back, I could not agree more (and I would like to thank God for not sending me any guys that ended up being buttholes or deadbeats and not allowing me to give any of the aforementioned that showed their true colors from the jump a chance---insert serenity prayer here). My past relationships all ended for a reason---some more petty than others but that's beyond the point at the moment---and I learned from them all.

For the moment though, I want to take the time out to say I know that I have something good with Derrick. I would never want to be that girl that does not realize that until it's over (knocks on wood). This morning my grandma said, "Seems like you have a really nice boyfriend". I smiled cause I know it's the truth. We're on the same page about most things (besides food preferences. lol. smh). We can play thumb wars, act silly and just feel comfortable around each other despite the kind of short time of knowing each other. It's crazy to me that I had been looking all summer for someone to call my lover and when I stopped, there you were. Didn't know that, did you?

On another note, Kanye also said, "If you admire [or insert any other warm word here] somebody, you should go 'head tell 'em. People never get the flowers while they can still smell them."

Okay, I'm almost done. Appreciate what you got, ladies and gents!! There's a reason why you gave him or her a chance. Reflect on that.

Peace & Mucho Love,
D

No comments: