Saturday, December 5, 2009

Stop Complaining: An Ode to Gratefulness

complain |kəmˈplān|verb[ trans. ] express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event : local authorities complained that they lacked sufficient resources | [intrans.]“You never listen to me,” Larry complained. | [ intrans. ] we all complained bitterly about the food.
grateful |ˈgrātfəl|adjectivefeeling or showing an appreciation of kindness; thankful : I'm very grateful to you for all your help.archaic received or experienced with gratitude; welcome : enjoying the grateful shade.

Complaining. It's something I have done a lot in the past three months even though I have a place to live and people in my life that genuinely care about me. These past couple weeks though, I've come in contact with people (both fellow students and older folks) who talk about thinking more about the good things in life. Apparently, studies show that individuals that focus on the negative lead a sad life. I can honestly say, through my own observation, that this is true. Often, it is easy for us to focus on everything that is going wrong in our lives. This takes place even when the good outweighs the bad by a significant margin. With that being said, I have compiled a list (in no particular order) of things that make me happy, I am grateful for and just other random things that make life great!!

My relationship with God. Trust. MOMMY! Little Brother. Family, in general. (BEST) Friends. The opportunity to get an education. Honesty. Hunny Bunny. BlackBerry. Wonderful roommates. Passion. Scarves. Laughing nonstop. Good books. Orange Juice with pulp. Lazy Saturdays. Pizza. Los Angeles. Forgiveness. [treyingday.blogspot.com]. Those hugs that feel amazing. Skype. Thrift Stores. PEACE. For money to pay my bills. For having bills (It means I'm growing up & getting it in). Comfort. CapriSuns a.k.a. Unicorn Pee Pee (LOL). Patience. Sneakers. Gossip Girl. Random acts of kindness. Superbowl Commercials. Movie nights. Bagels & Cream Cheese. Cheese! Traveling. Professors that give wonderful lectures. Blankie. Methods to madness. Good music. [8dayweeks.blogspot.com]. CCC and all the people in it. Care packages. Good conversations. Re-building a relationship with my dad. Scrambled eggs. "Good morning" text. Words of encouragement. Da Poetry Lounge. Getting it in!!! Sincerity. @bereolaesque. My wall. Strawberry lip balm. experience. Glee. The fact that this quarter is almost over. Dance. Brooklyn (my car).

...and the list goes on.

What is on your list?

No comments: