Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Change Gon' Come.

I attend one of the ten Universities of California. Budget cuts and fee increases are affecting students on all campuses (+ the California State Universities). We have to pay more money BUT our resources are being cut dramatically. Many professors have already been let go. Tuition is going up by 32% by the end of this school year. Some departments are on the verge of being cut because of administration not deeming them as necessary. Many students on my campus have spoke out against everything going on right now.


I have spoken with plenty of students since this day. Some think the protest will change a lot while others are very apprehensive to show support. I feel that as students of the university, if we come together in solidarity, someone will have to give us answers and make a change. I have expressed to friends that I entered college at the wrong time, and I would be so happy if I did not have to deal with this and I could just graduate when this quarter is over. Then I saw people that graduated last year, still supporting the current students. I felt empowered, to say the least. With that being said, I'm ready to take over the university. It is OUR university! My younger brother is graduating from high school in a couple years... where is he going to go? if I do not take a stand, I would not be contributing to his future. Let's be the change we want to see.



In Solidarity,
Deonna

No comments: