Saturday, December 4, 2010

Going to a university that only has a 3% African and African American population is difficult. There are experiences there that would probably take place less often than at schools with a more diverse population. With that being said, I am very involved in my campus' black community and I work closely with other students that identify with marginalized groups on my campus at the Cross Cultural Center. I am also a member of a Black Women's support group on campus. As the quarter drew to a close, we had our last meeting.

A tradition is to compile songs that keep us grounded and inspire us to keep on fighting, pushing and believing that when everything seems to be crashing down, it is not the end of the world. My pick was Strength, Courage and Wisdom by India.Arie. If you haven't heard it, or want to here it again... check it out below:


Every time I hear this song, I think about how I have everything I need inside already. God has equipped me (and everyone else in the world) with all the tools we need to survive any bumps in the road that may make the journey of life a bit more difficult.

The other women in the group also shared some good songs, such as: Hero by Mariah Carey and Be All Truth by Jesse Boykins III.

Another thing we did during our last meeting time was tell each other what we appreciated about them. One person's feedback in particular meant a lot. She said something to the affect of me being a leader and ahead of my time. It meant a lot because I feel the same way. In that moment, I felt like my thoughts about myself were reconfirmed. Someone also referred to me as soulful. I see it as me being in touch with my soul. In the past few months, that's what I've been trying to reach. The journey is not over, but the fact that I feel like I'm getting close is a beautiful thing.

I pray that I continue to be a leader, striving to be closer to God, discerning what my path truly is and putting all of my plans into action soon. Just talking about them does nothing. Time to walk the talk!

Can any of you relate to my sentiment? Share your stories or any songs that keep you grounded.

Peace.

No comments: