Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Going Hard in the Paint

Bobby of The Hundreds, a streetwear brand, writes at least one blog post per day.

Today, his post started with: Kids these days. They want it all. That’s fine, that’s how we taught them. Dream big! Shoot for the stars!! You can do anything if you put your mind to it!!! But the reality of the matter is that dreams are nothing without hard work. Goals are zero without diligence. And everyone has a vision, but what have you done in the past 24 hours to achieve it?

I kind of felt like he was speaking to me. I have gone from career plan to career plan without ever going super hard to make my dreams become reality. Luckily, I'm realizing that now as a 20 year old. At the beginning of this summer, I started investing in my future by starting an internship in a field I intend to be a part of in the future. I've been learning, networking and trying to put myself out there. I must admit, my future is looking bright but I know it's going to take a lot of work and sacrifice. My little piece of motivation: I don't want to sleep on my mother's house. I want my own stuff, to make it better than the generation before me.

Sleep deprivation is becoming more appetizing to me. Undergrad has taught me that a lot of folks stay up at all hours of the morning to get work done. Sometimes it's because of procrastination, but other times losing sleep is caused by wanting to be better than the rest. You know that motto, "They sleep, we work." I may be adopting that soon. There's no time for mediocrity.

In June 2012, I will be walking across the stage. This may be the reason the future is coming up more commonly in conversations. And now, rather than talking about how I have no idea what I'm doing with my life, I am talking about how I am trying things out to find the best fit for me.

It's nothing to it but to do it. I know a lot of people that don't believe in my generation because apparently, we're slackers. Fortunately, I still believe in us. There's a lot of folks born in the late 80's/early 90's that are actually doing things to make an impact on society.

Hope you're getting out there too! And I encourage you to read all of Bobby's post.

Let's go hard in the paint, folks!

No comments: